Linn Akito/1 Refresh

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Linn Akito/1 Refresh

Post by springwood64 »

Now that I know my Akito bearings need a service, I'm wondering if I should also consider a rewire. I've been recommended J7.

Has anyone had bearings and wiring serviced for the Akito/1?

It would cost in total 1/3-1/2 the price of a used Ittok.

I don't know what sort of tune impact the wiring would have. So keen to hear people's experiences
Pete
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Akito/1 Refresh

Post by Spannko »

I haven’t heard the J7 modification, but my first thought was to not gamble on it being an improvement. Almost without exception, every audiophile upgrade I’ve heard has resulted in an improved sound at the expense of musicality. Also, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the wiring in the Akito, since as far as I’m aware, it’s the same wire used throughout the Linn range. I don’t know enough about the bearing change to know if there are any risks involved.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I'll just bide my time and enjoy the deck as it is.

Despite the Akito's disappointing failure in the vertical and horizontal bearing tests, I'm really enjoying the LP12.
Pete
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Sticky bearings will almost certainly cause you to lose musicality, so the bearing replacement may be worth the gamble. If it doesn’t work out for you, you can sell it and get a within spec Akito. Either way you should end up with something better than you have now 🤞
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

I’m no lp12 guru but when I bought my deck due to the lack of funds I bought a used but fully serviced akito/1 from johnny (Audio Origami). That arm sounded fantastic for the money and I regret selling it. I would surely reach out to him as I think he’s really good and honest.

I replaced the arm with an ittok3 mk2 and can’t really say if the ittok is that much better when comparing the $$ value.

springwood64 wrote: 2024-05-02 18:32 Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I'll just bide my time and enjoy the deck as it is.

Despite the Akito's disappointing failure in the vertical and horizontal bearing tests, I'm really enjoying the LP12.
1. LP12/Selekt/TS 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
2. WiiM/modi3+/TS 2.2/Kan II
3. Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Zee9 wrote: 2024-05-11 14:57 I replaced the [Akito 1] with an ittok3 mk2 and can’t really say if the ittok is that much better when comparing the $$ value.
Linn said the same thing after the Ittok was discontinued and the only arm they were selling at the same price level was the Akito (!)

I heard the two and there was no comparison IMHO. Don't know how the later Akitos fared against the ittok but I think your Ittok 3/2 was a fabulous arm, basically an Ekos 1 without the bearing issues!
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth P3-ESR/M30,