How is SW upgrades enhancing the tune...

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

How is SW upgrades enhancing the tune...

Post by Music Lover »

What is it that makes it possible to enhance the sound by SW upgrade?
I can understand it for Unidisk´s as better reading/decoding improve the sound, but Exotik and Klimax Kontrol?

And what is the latest re Unidisk SW?
Brand new Unidisk´s have a new SW not yet released as an official upgrade.
And the current official SW isn´t as good as the previous (so they say)
Some state the result is dependent of the Unidisk...
This is quite confusing, appreciate some facts here guys.

Can the sonic result be dependent of the upload order of the 3 Unidisk components.
(Ess, Mech etc)

And if a sw expert from Linn can shed some light...super :mrgreen:
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Moved to On the Inside
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Re: How is SW upgrades enhancing the tune...

Post by sommerfee »

Hi,
Music Lover wrote:I can understand it for Unidisk´s as better reading/decoding improve the sound, but Exotik and Klimax Kontrol?
I do not understand this for Unidisks, either. Ok, the MECH software is for reading the discs, so it's ok for me that there are sound differences. But why are there such differences with ESS software, even when you have a simple 2-channel-system and just playing CDs?
And the current official SW isn´t as good as the previous (so they say)
Some state the result is dependent of the Unidisk...
I can agree at least to the first statement. I have heard an old Unidisk 1.1 with ESS software 221 and 223 (MECH & H8 up-to-date), I expected a very little difference, if any. But in fact I was shocked by the amount of the difference! The ESS 223 software was much worser to me, I was feeling relieved when <stop> was pressed, while I wanted to here more with ESS 221 software. (We used the EMI CD "Four last songs", sung by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, and also a Pop song from an German group, for this test.)

I haven't heard SW differences with newer Unidisks, but I cannot believe Linn makes things worser, so I assume the new ESS software is playing better on newer units.

Regards,
Axel
Last edited by sommerfee on 2007-02-09 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hello Axel and welcome to the forum! *)

The difference seems to be the same on late Unidisks - I have tried it on a mid 2006 1.1 and ESS 221 is much better than 223 on CD.

To complicate things, however, I have found that on the Unidisk SC, the latest released software is better than the previous (this is not the same software as for the 1.1 and 2.1).

I also have my doubts about the DVD 5.1 Dolby Digital performance with software 221 and 223. When I briefly compared it on a 2.1, the later ESS 223 was very different and, I believe, better.

I hope Linn will release the new ESS and H8S software that new Unidisks are shipped with and that this version is simply better in all aspects. It shouln't be necessary to double check these things yourself to get the best possible performance.

*) Since I have now lost track of who I have said Welcome to, I hope you will all forgive me if I have forgotten anyone.
Audiman

Post by Audiman »

Hi

Intresting with a new Linn forum.

As a owner of a unidisk 2.1 for almost 2 years I have done some SW uppgrades incliuding 221 > 223. The 223 has a somewhat simpliefied way to do it, you put in the disk, and thats it, almost....

My 2.1 are soly used for music, and therefore not conected to TV, LCD or what ever. so I did the uppdate and began to play Cd`s, and it took 2 nano seconds to realise the result was C***, to put it mildly.

After checking the uppdate manual, I conected the player to the telly, did a reset in the "Users Menu" (as clearly stated in the manual) Voila back on track again.

To my humble ears the 223 are sligthy better that the 221.

By the way the Unidisk`s now shipping has ESS 224, but other SW and MECH version are the same.

Audiman
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Audiman wrote: The 223 has a somewhat simpliefied way to do it, you put in the disk, and thats it, almost....
And that wasn´t how your 2.1 was working with 221??

And, what is better in 223 soundwise?
Audiman

Post by Audiman »

Music Lover:

1: How you do the uppdate (223 is the first where you not have to conect to a computer.)
2: Tune

Audiman[/quote]
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Audiman wrote:After checking the uppdate manual, I conected the player to the telly, did a reset in the "Users Menu"
Of course we did that, too (reset, restart, setup "digital out" off & "2-channel"), but it hasn't helped in our case.

How was the 2.1 connected to the pre-amplifier? Via cinch or XLR? Any idea what else could be the difference?

And AFAIK the ESS 223 software was not the first one which did not needed a computer connection. The dealer has done the "downgrade" to 221 exact in the same way as updating to 223, without a computer connected to the Unidisk.

Axel
Audiman

Post by Audiman »

hi

The 2.1 are conected with Linn Silver interconects (un-balanced)
No changes in "Factory Settings"

Audiman
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The ESS software is installed with a CD, regardless of the version.

The 223 sounds more clear and exact than the 221, so it can impress at first. I have found it easier to compare these two over a bit more time than the regular Tune Dem of 15-20 seconds (thanks to Paolo for that tip).

After listening to an entire CD with the 223, I feel tired in my ears and just want to turn the system off. With the 221 I want to keep listening. It has a analogue kind of "flow" and is more tuneful, in my opinion.

I am not entirely ruling out the possibility that the performance differs between different machines, but it seems unlikely. I have tried 221 against 223 in 5 different Unidisks (2.1 and 1.1, new and old) and they have all sounded better with the 221.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Interesting Fredrik!
Must be rather small musical differences between 221 and 223, as you need a full CD to make your mind up and not just a few seconds "normal" tune dem.
And in that case, it may not be SO strange that some people prefer the 223.
We talking small differences here compared to 221 vs. older Unidsk SW, dont we? :wink:
Please comment.

The reminds me on the discussion re balanced vs. unbalanced IC's from Unidisk where balanced sounds more HIFI but slightly less in tune - and some prefer the first... As I tried both I can somehow understand that some prefer/get seduced by the better "HIFI sound". (for the record, I still prefer UNbalanced)

Edit, fixed typo
Last edited by Music Lover on 2007-02-11 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I perceive these differences quite fundamental. They are not small but not exactly BIG either. I think it's difficult to decide because it appears to be a mix of positive and negative changes to the sound.

When I first installed the latest ESS on the SC, the sound got clearer and overall better. Then I did the same thing on a 1.1, which soundwise changed in a similar way. But somehow it became very tiring to listen to! I had to go back and forth between 221 and 223 several times before I came to the conclusion that the clear and "digital sounding" character of the 223 is overall worse.

Then I went back and forth on the SC and found the latest ESS to be just better. On the SC, the music becomes sharper and more involving, while with the 1.1, it becomes sharper and less involving.

EDIT: On the 2.1, I have so far preferred the 221 but it has not been as clear-cut as with the 1.1.

I suspect you meant "I still prefer UNbalanced", no?
Last edited by lejonklou on 2007-02-11 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Audiman wrote:By the way the Unidisk`s now shipping has ESS 224, but other SW and MECH version are the same.
No, the H8S software is also new.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote: I suspect you meant "I still prefer UNbalanced", no?
yes, I made a typo.
Unbalansed is better!
Audiman

Post by Audiman »

Regarding H8S software that is confusing !

My dealers Unidisk 1.1 from late 06 has these SW

ESS: ...224
H8S: ...217

My 2.1 has

ESS: ...223
H8S: ...217

"Still confused but on a higher level" :?

Audiman
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Aha. I have heard that the latest H8S is 218. But that might be wrong...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Why isn't ESS 224 released as official upgrade yet?

I can only think of the following:
1/ Linn working on 225...as they have bugs and/or sound related issues in 224.
2/ new or serviced Unidisk units are shipped with 224 as it correct technical issues in 223 (and 221), and Linn focus more on stabillity compared to sound quality (seems best in 221)

Thoughts?
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

3/ 224 is only working on recent Unidisks and not (yet) adapted to older units?

4/ Linn isn't releasing software versions to dealers anymore? (Reason?)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

5/ They are just too busy with other things, but will soon release the best ever software for the Unidisks.

:D
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

sommerfee wrote:3/ 224 is only working on recent Unidisks and not (yet) adapted to older units?

4/ Linn isn't releasing software versions to dealers anymore? (Reason?)
3/ can't be true. See 2/
Lets not hope 4/ is correct. If so...another bad policy decision :evil:

Fredrik, what about you asking Linn re "best ever SW" :mrgreen:
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Music Lover wrote: Lets not hope 4/ is correct. If so...another bad policy decision :evil:
I wouldn't be too surprised. They already dropped the product history for dealers, so why not drop the software update support, too?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I don't understand what you mean, Axel. Linn hasn't dropped anything as far as I know.

Please clarify.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

lejonklou wrote:Please clarify.
AFAIK the "product histories" will not be continued since about 2003. So for example the product history PDF for the 2250 is not reflecting the changes (and there was at least one big change) and for newer products (Akurate 242 for example) there isn't a product history PDF at all.

I do not have access to these PDFs, so I can only repeat here what was told to me.

So it seems to me that Linn isn't telling their dealers anymore what has changed during the lifespan of their products.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hm... What you are saying above seems to be correct. I never thought or heard of this as a policy decision, though. None of the product histories are 100% complete, but they were rather detailed in the early days and then gradually became more crude.

If Linn have decided to drop them completely, it is one step further away from the enthusiasts.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Just checking if any of you heard a ESS 224 Unidisk 1.1 yet.
And compared it with one running ESS 223...

EDIT, well - better compare it with 221 as well, checking if 224 offer the best from both versions.