Tiger Paw Wall Shelf

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

The FlatEarther

Tiger Paw Wall Shelf

Post by The FlatEarther »

The best support for an LP12 I have accross so far is the TP Vulkan.

http://www.tiger-paw.com/Products.html.

The shelves are exactly the right size for a Sound Org, Target, Audio Tech and Archidee stands. They are made of Laminated densely compiled Chipboard and are a significant up grade in themselves.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tiger Paw Wall Shelf

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks for the report! So if replace my original Audiotech wall shelf with a Tiger Paw I'll get a significant improvement, or should I just get the shelf? Have you tried any different combinations, three or four spikes, thick och thin shelf, which sound better?
the players of instruments shall be there..
Tiger Paw

Post by Tiger Paw »

Sorry, I have only just seen this:-)

First off, thanks for your encouraging words Flat.

To answer the second post, if you have an Audiotech shelf in good condition (i.e., the spike mounts have not loosened) then personally I'd leave well alone. It may be worth changing the board but in practice (and my experience) if you have a competently designed shelf unit then you are already getting the vast majority of any LP12 improvements that can be made in terms of placement. We did quite a few measurements when we created the shelf - getting a deck off the floor made more difference than anything else in reducing the amplitude of feedback reaching the deck.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Thanks! It's a great thing with a really good wallshelf available!

I have as I said an Audiotech which seems very similar to yours, can you say something about similarities and differences between the two?

I also wonder if you could add something about different walls. I used to have mine on concrete wall with original fischer bolts, it was great and easy optimize with a rather low torque. I now have the shelf on a wood/plaster wall, not super solid. I now use 100mm woodscrews with some solid washers and a spring washer at rather high torque. Anything you could say about fastening Tiger Paw wall shelf on different kind of walls?

the players of instruments shall be there..
Tiger Paw

Post by Tiger Paw »

I think the performance of the Vulkan is probably very similar to the Audiotech, both are light and rigid and even use the same welding process. We have however got a more effective spike mounting system and we use M5, not M4 Fischer fixings. These fixings are a pain to get hold of but they offer really excellent filtering from the wall, i.e., there is no metal contact between the shelf and brickwork.

It is impossible to categorise all walls and rooms. Staying away from corners is a good idea, regardless of wall and floor material. But there are differences in types of brick work etc, and then again on studded (plaster board) walls.

I have read a lot of nonsense about turntable siting. Turntables are precision mechanical measuring devices. ANY feedback reaching them will distort the signal. However I think some people like the effect of some feedback and this is why they prefer one type of stand over another. If you use floor mounted speakers and floor mounted turntable stands with spikes you are directly coupling them together. This is a bad thing. A wall shelf does not eliminate this but it can reduce it.

As a principle I would suggest that you find a stud that can be firmly (and securely) fastened to your wall. Then you can very lightly attach the shelf to these fixings. The idea is not to rigidly couple if you can. In my experience, just going to a good wall shelf gets you 80% improvement, the last 20% is difficult to achieve and depends on the construction of the room etc. personally I would stay with the Audiotech, it's a very good shelf.